A collaborative sharing platform for better Early Childhood Education
Only 5.2% of children under 6 years of age attend preschool in Burkina Faso.
There are fewer than 200 public preschools throughout Burkina Faso, and existing private structures often lack the qualifications to take good care of 3-6 year olds. Teaching materials are lacking, are not sufficiently adapted to the age of the children and are very expensive due to technical access difficulties. Early childhood professionals wish to improve their practices, but until recently they did not have the opportunity to do so.
The “Preschool Toolbox” project aims to improve the quality of preschool education and to build the capacity of early childhood professionals in Burkina Faso. It provides them with activity sheets and many other educational resources on the internet: www.bop.bf to help them prepare their lessons.
These pedagogical resources were produced and validated following a survey of pedagogical practices in 6 regions of the country, in partnership with a scientific committee made up of early childhood experts, representatives of the Ministry of Education and the National Institute for Training in Social Work.
On the www.bop.bf platform, the activity box offers activity sheets classified by dominance. Awakening, creation, expression, motricity or sociability, the section is full of ideas and good practices to stimulate 3-6 year olds!
The site also details the advantages of preschool education, which is fundamental to enable children to acquire motor, sensory, cognitive but also emotional and social skills.
Finally, the Preschool Toolbox provides visitors with help in preparing for the various early childhood competitions and provides individual distance learning. Resources on teaching and pedagogy are also available. Finally, there are official documents related to this field.
Finally, the BOP represents a new space for exchange, information and news specific to preschooling in Burkina Faso.
- 10 Awareness and Preschool Education Centers from disadvantaged neighbourhoods equivalent to preschools in France have received specific support for their operation (canteens, school gardens, fences, school grants for orphans, school outings, etc.).
- 9 Awareness and Preschool Education Centers organized awareness-raising sessions on the importance of preschooling.
- 655 children were given school uniforms made of local FASO DANFANI fabric to enhance the value of preschool education in the eyes of parents and the community.
- 320 early childhood professionals have been trained in the use of a methodological guide that advises them on the use of the new teaching sheets.
- More than 700 educators have been equipped with this guide and these sheets in Burkina Faso’s public Awareness and Preschool Education Centers.
- Local partners:
National Institute for Social Work Training
Association for the Promotion of Early Childhood Education in Faso
- Financial partners:
French Development Agency
Government of the Principality of Monaco
“Agir Pour les Enfants” Foundation