Promoting social and professional integration of vulnerable youths in Vietnam
What professional opportunities for vulnerable youths in Vietnam?
Vietnam, in great economic and population growth these past years, leaves behind a segment of its population deprived of development.
1 million young people enter the labor market each year, causing the issue of qualifications and job creations.
- The lack of qualification is one of the most significant causes of the professional exclusion of young people, according to public authorities (Ministry of Education – MOET – and Ministry of labor – MOLISA).
- The expectations of employers elevate. Most of the companies report a gap between the certifications and the required skills.
The country’s economic capital, Ho Chi Minh City, attracts more and more individuals but struggles to respond to the needs of employment. Fragile populations, such as internal migrants, are the main victims. Professional training centers do not have the capacity to adapt their pedagogy in-depth to vulnerable young people, nor to provide counseling in quality guidance or social support, which are, nonetheless, necessary and expected from the local government’s strategic guidance.
40% of young people in training at our partnering centers have withdrawn from their current courses.
How to help the vulnerable youths from escaping poverty?
The project of Planète Enfants & Développement aims to promote the economic integration of vulnerable young people and to improve their living conditions in a long-term fashion.
Our program of socio-professional support provides personal follow-up from 6 to 12 months. It includes aid for the construction of professional projects, guidance counseling, diploma training, support for job search, and business developments.
PE&D works in collaboration with two professional training centers: Nhan Dao in District 3 and Hung Vuong in District 5. We have promoted the integration, during the training course for vulnerable youths, of modules for the development of life skills and work etiquettes (values of a job, working in teams, etc.).
We train the education teams so that they use the tools adapted to real in-the-field situations.
- Since 2017, 250 young people have been supported in their career through this adapted approach.
- 59 educators have been trained with the tools developed by PE&D to identify and guide young people in difficulty.
- 70% certified youths from the Hung Vuong training center have found a job upon leaving their training.
Our Local Partners
- Hung Vuong – Public professional training center specialized in technical training: air conditioning installation, vehicle and mobile phone repairment, etc. Hung Vuong has been a partner of PE&D since 2014 for the implementation of alternating training sessions on refrigeration systems.
- Nhan Dao – Public professional training center specialized in aesthetics: hairdressing, nail cutting, etc. Nhan Dao and PE&D have been working together since 2013 for the adaptation of training provisions under the needs of enterprises. In 2018, PE&D and Nhan Dao created a social enterprise, Lá Nails, permitting vulnerable young people to have access to a diploma training in nail care.
- European Institute for Cooperation and Development – NGO collaborating with PE&D in developing additional solutions for vocational training and supporting entrepreneurship.