Support for early childhood in Burkina Faso :
So that toddlers thrive in good conditions
Taking action in the country since 2004, Planète Enfants & Développement has developed access to pre-school education in no amenities suburban areas* in Ouagadougou, where the concentration of poverty and lack of access to social services is at its strongest.
In Burkina Faso, the pre-schooling is basic: there are 109 nurseries in the whole country, called CEEP (Centre d’Eveil et d’Education Préscolaire = Pre-school Centre of Enlightenment and Education), 12 of which were created by our association. The Ministry of Education has the intention to develop pre-schooling and relies on a collaboration with Planète Enfants & Développement to develop basic education programmes. However there is no educational support.
* Neighborhood on the fringes of the city which houses the poorest families
For Whom ?
The early childhood project tries to bring quality education to children. To do this, we start with the premise that a nursery needs worksheets for teachers and games and toys for children.
-Worksheets to help manage activities to achieve specific goals, following the development stages of the child.
-Games and toys are the basic tools and mediators for the learning of the child, its development, its stimulation, and its education.
Following the first phase that enabled access to pre-school education in the no amenities districts of Ouagadougou, phase 2 helps improve the quality of teaching of pre-school education.
Our approach combines:
– the improvement of teaching aids available to educators by revising and harmonising the worksheets;
– the creation of prototypes of games and toys to make them available to the pre-school centre of enlightenment and education and raise the families’ awareness of the importance of playing in the education of young children;
– training and strengthening the skill-set of the pre-school professionals : teachers, inspectors.
– the revitalization of the local economy through the development of the desginers and the creation of an enterprise for production and marketing of games/toys adapted to the sociocultural context.
- 10,000 children who attend the public CEEP school each year and their families!
- 800 professionals of early childhood
- The designers whose activity areas will be developed
Location: Ouagadougou / national scale
Project duration: 3 years