New impetus for housing renovations in Cambodia

16 Feb, 2021

As part of our HALI project, which aims to improve living conditions in the slums of Phnom Penh, we will be renovating 15 new houses in the next 5 months


This is a new step that we are taking with the inhabitants of the precarious districts of Phnom Penh. It is no longer simply a matter of dealing with emergencies (a roof or a beam that is collapsing, for example), but rather of designing each renovation to measure with each family. And we have just completed the first renovation! 

Planète Enfants & Développement organizes the construction site, orders and delivers the materials. Each project costs between 3500 and 5000 dollars (2900 - 4200€), including labor, of which 80% are paid for by the association. The remaining 20% are paid for by the family. It is a strong commitment of the families, who are always selected according to their precariousness, the danger that their housing represents, their durable installation on the land they occupy, but also their motivation.

Three new families are now involved with us in the transformation of their homes. An undeniable support which allows them to improve their living conditions in a sustainable way and to avoid dramas during floods and storms.

Following the evaluation of the first phase of our Hali project, we realized that it is difficult to propose the same model of house for each family because the environment is different and the expectations are not always the same. So the watchword for this new phase will be adaptation 

As a reminder, theImprovement of living conditions and housing in the slums of Phnom Penh began in July 2018 with an initial three-year phase that is now coming to an end. It intervenes in eight communities in the south of Phnom Penh to fully fight against vulnerability. It is built on an approach with four priority axes:

  • social support for families in great difficulty
  • the fight against domestic violence 
  • home improvement 
  • social cohesion and community empowerment.

February 16, 2021

Our other news :

Share This