As part of our HALI project which aims to improve living conditions in the slums of Phnom Penh, we will completely renovate 15 houses in the next 5 months.

This is a new step that we are taking with the inhabitants of the precarious neighborhoods of Phnom Penh. It is no longer simply a question of landing the emergency (a roof or a beam that crumble for example), but indeed to think each renovation tailor-made with each family. And we have just completed the first renovation!

Planète Enfants & Développement organizes the construction site, orders and delivers the materials. Each project costs between 3500 and 5000 dollars (2900 – 4200€), including labour, 80% of which is supported by the association. The family is responsible for the remaining 20%. It is a strong commitment on the part of families, who are always selected on the basis of their precariousness, the danger of their housing, their sustainable installation on the ground they occupy, but also their motivation.

Three new families are now involved with us in the transformation of their habitats. An undeniable support that allows them to improve their living conditions sustainably and avoid tragedies during floods and storms.

Following the evaluation of the first sentence of our Hali project, we realized that it is difficult to propose the same model of house for each family because the environment is different and the expectations are not always the same. So the watchword for this new phase will be adaptation!

As a reminder, the Improvement of Living Conditions in Precarious Neighborhoods of Phnom Penh started in July 2018 with a first phase of three years which is now coming to an end. It works in eight communities in southern Phnom Penh to fully address vulnerability. It is built on an approach with four priorities:

– Social support for families in difficulty

– Combating domestic violence

– Habitat improvement

– Social cohesion and community responsibility

To find out more:
Better living conditions in slums 

16 February 2021